Site search by Findberry

A local history and genealogy site for Wimpole, a village and parish in South Cambridgeshire.
Curated by Steve Odell.



Trade Directories 1851-1933
Wimpole entries from a selection of commercial Trade Directories
published between 1851 and 1933.
A local history and genealogy page for the Parish of Wimpole.

Robert Gardner's Directory 1851 
Kelly's Directory 1869 
J. G. Harrod's Directory 1873 
Kelly's Directory 1879 
  Kelly's Directory 1888
  Kelly's Directory 1892
  Kelly's Directory 1929
  Kelly's Directory 1933

My thanks to Geoffrey Woollard.

Robert Gardner's Directory
Wimpole 1851
This parish which belongs to the right hon. the earl of Hardwicke, contains 2428 acres; its population in 1801, was 324; in 1831, 583; and in 1841, 464 souls. The amount of assessed property is £1,934. The soil is generally a heavy loam.
Manors.- The following manors were formerly acknowledged in Wimpole, viz:- the manor of Avenells, from the ancient possessors of it of that name, and to which another manor that had been in the families of Kingston and Bancis was united; and the manors of Bassingbourn, St.George, Rampton and Claydons, all of which eventually centered in the Chicheley family. The first of the family who settled here in the reign of Henry VI., was John Chicheley, Esq., of Higham Ferrers, great nephew of the archbishop of the same name. From him the Wimpole estate descended to Sir Thos. Chicheley, who sold it in 1686, to Sir John Cutler. It afterwards passed to the earl of Radnor, who sold it in 1710, to John duke of Newcastle, and in 1739, the earl of Oxford, son-in-law of the duke sold it to Philip earl of Hardwicke, lord high chancellor of England, and from him it descended lineally to the present noble proprietor.
There are two small villages, about 1 1/2 mile apart, in this parish, one of which is called New Wimpole. The Old Village of Wimpole, which consists of a few cottages, stands about 8 miles N.W. from Royston, and 9 S.W. from Cambridge. The houses or cottages of which New Wimpole consists are neatly built in the gothic style.
The Church, dedicated to St Andrew, was rebuilt by lord chancellor Hardwicke in 1749 from a plain design of Flitcroft, and consists of a nave, chancel, and side chapel. In a window removed from the old church are several ancient coats of arms in stained glass, and three other windows are also glazed with the same material. In the side or Chicheley chapel is a marble monument of Sir Thomas Chicheley, who died in 1616. Here are also handsome monuments of lord chancellor Hardwicke, who died in 1764, and other members of this noble family. The benefice is a rectory in the deanery of Barton, valued in the Liber Regis at £18.00., but now returned at £398. nett per annum. The patronage is vested in the earl of Hardwicke, and the Hon. and Rev. Henry R. Yorke M.A., is the present rector. The Rectory house is a handsome residence, pleasantly situated near the church.
Wimpole Hall, the most splendid mansion in the county, and the seat of the Right Hon. the earl of Hardwicke, lord lieutenant of the county, stands in a beautiful park near the village. It is a spacious brick structure with extensive wings; the central part was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley about the year 1632, and the wings were afterwards added by lord Oxford. The whole was newly fronted, and the principal apartments fitted up by lord chancellor Hardwicke. The east wing is connected with the offices, and the west with a large green house.
The entrance to the hall is by a double flight of steps. The interior of the fabric is very elegant, and contains a magnificently fitted up state room. The gallery and other apartments contain a valuable collection of paintings, many of them by the first masters. Amongst them are the following:- Ben Jonson, by Cornelius Janson; Frank Hals, by himself; a Venetian nobleman, (an extremely fine picture,) Titian; St Ignatius Loyola, founder of the order of the Jesuits, Titian; head of a monk supposed to be Luther; David and Goliath, Giorgione, the angel appearing to Hagar; the Virgin and child, Old Palma, and the same by Vandyck and Titian; a head of Vandyck by himself; the laughing and crying philosophers, Rubens; the passage of the Israelites; Sir Thomas More, Holbein, Job and his wife, a very singular painting; the love sick maid, Opie; head of St Peter, Guido; the temptation of St Antony, Rubens and other artists; Roman charity, Rubens; the House of Commons in the time of of the speaker Onslow, by Sir John Thornhill, assisted, as it is supposed by Hogarth, his son-in-law, and several family portraits.
In the drawing-room is an elegant piece of mosaic work representing the temple of the Sybils. The library, which is a very fine apartment, contains a select and valuable collection of books, amongst which are the best editions of both English and foreign authors in every branch of literature, besides many volumes of curious engravings. Besides the books, here are several portraits and heads of eminent writers; a fine carving in ivory of our Saviour on the cross, brought from Italy; and lord Hardwicke has a large and valuable collection of state papers and MSS. preserved in an apartment secure from fire. The private chapel is ornamented with a large painting of the nativity over the alter by Sir James Thornhill, and the walls with figures of saints.
The park is well wooded, and the views from the upper part of it are very extensive and rich, and embellished by several pieces of water. Opposite the southern front is a fine avenue near three miles in length. The deer park contains 250 acres. There are handsome gate houses and entrances to this beautiful park at Arrington, Orwell, and Wimpole, and a handsome new lodge in the later Elizabethan style of a peculiar chaste design has just been completed at the Orwell entrance. About half a mile NW from the hall are the remains of an old castellated mansion with a round tower in good repair.
Charles Philip Yorke, D.C.L., the fourth earl of Hardwicke, is son of Sir Joseph Sydney Yorke, K.C.B., half brother to the third earl. He was born in 1799; married in 1833 the sixth daughter of the first lord Ravensworth, and succeeded his uncle in 1834. He entered the navy in 1815, and became a captain in 1825. He is lord lieutenant and custos rotulorum of Cambridgeshire. He was a lord in waiting to her Majesty from September 1841, to January 1846; was M.P. for Reigate in 1831, and for Cambridgeshire from 1832 till 1834. The first peer was lord chancellor in 1736-37; his second son, grandfather of the present peer, was also lord chancellor , but died suddenly before a patent which was in progress for creating him a peer could be completed.
Residences:- 48 Brook street, London; Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire; Tittenhanger Hall, near St Alban's, Herts. His lordship's heir is his son Charles Philip, viscount Royston, born in 1836.
Directory:- Right Hon. The Earl of Hardwicke, Wimpole Hall; the Hon and Rev. Henry R. Yorke, MA, rector; James Prime, shopkeeper; Owen Cambridge, bailiff to the earl of Hardwicke; and the farmers are - John Arber, Ann Coggins, Robert Elliston, Wm Peacock, Thomas Strickland, Charles Titchmarch, Thomas Webb, and Henry Woodruff (& steward to the earl of Hardwicke.)
Letters are received through the Arrington Post Office.

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1869
WIMPOLE is a parish, about 8 miles north-west from Royston station, and about 9 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Church of St Andrew was, with the exception of the chantry, rebuilt of red brick in 1749: the east window is of stained glass; the centre subject being "King David with his Harp" and either side, St. Catherine and St. Simon; the edifice contains many very elegant marble monuments to former lords of the manor; there is a recumbent life-size marble figure of the late Lord Hardwicke, also one of the Chicheley family, each on tombs breast high. The register dates from 1540. The living is a rectory, yearly value £398, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Hardwicke, and held by the Hon. and Ven. Archdeacon Yorke, M.A., of St John's College, Cambridge.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Earl of Hardwicke, P.C., D.C.L., is a spacious brick mansion; the central part was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley, about the year 1632; the wings were added by Lord Oxford; the house was newly fronted, and the principle apartments fitted up, by Lord Chancellor Hardwicke; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by the old masters; the deer park consists of 300 acres; in front of the house is a spacious avenue, extending 2¾ miles in length. A substantial school building was erected for the poor of the parish in 1860, supported by the Earl of Hardwicke.
The Earl of Hardwicke is lord of the manor, and sole landowner.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley.
The population in 1861 was 406; the area of the parish is 2428 acres.
Parish Clerk: William Whetstone.
Letters through Royston via Arrington.(Herts). The nearest money order office is at Arrington.
Parish School: Samuel Horsfield, master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hardwicke, Earl of, P.C. D.C.L. Wimpole Hall; & 44 Portman Square, London W.
Royston, Right Hon. Viscount, M.P., J.P., Wimpole Hall; & 38 Hertford Street, London W.
Yorke, The Hon. & Ven. Henry Reginald, M.A., J.P., (Archdeacon of Huntingdon).
COMMERCIAL
Cambridge, Owen, farm bailiff to the Earl of Hardwicke, Home Farm.
Gifford, Macer, farmer, Cob's Wood Farm.
Dimock, William, farmer.
Elliston, Robert, farmer.
Hagger William, farmer.
Honour, George, farmer.
Wickes, George Henry land steward to the Earl of Hardwicke.

J. G. Harrod's Directory
Wimpole 1873
Wimpole is a parish and village, distant 9 miles from Cambridge, 8 from Royston, and 2 1/2 from North Road railway station, in the hundred of Wetherley, union of Caxton, County Court district of Cambridge, diocese and archdeaconry of Ely, and rural deanery of Barton. The living is a rectory, annual value £398, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Hardwicke, who is also lord of the manor, and sole landowner, the Rev. E. Liddle is the rector. There is a school for boys and girls, Samuel Horsfield, master. The parish contains 2428 acres of land. The population is about 450.
POSTAL REGULATIONS - Joseph Smoothy, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. are despatched at 9 p.m. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Arrington. Post town, Royston.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Liddle Rev E., M.A. rector
Hardwicke Earl of, P.C. D.C.L. Wimpole Hall
Wickes George, Esq., land steward to the Earl of Hardwicke
GENERAL TRADES
Cambridge Owen, farm bailiff to the Earl of Hardwicke
Dudley James, builder and brickmaker
Grant George, clerk of Works
Goodman Samuel, gamekeeper
Howes Joel, blacksmith
Humphrys William, gardener to the Earl of Hardwicke
Whetstone William, bricklayer
FARMERS
Alflatt William, Valley Farm
Danmock William, Hoback Farm
Elliston Robert, Thornberry Hill Farm
Gifford Macer, Cobbs Wood Farm
Hagger James, Coombe Grove Farm
Hagger Saunders
Hagger William, Cambridge Road Farm
Richman James

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1879
WIMPOLE is a parish, about 8 miles north-west from Royston station, about 9 south-west from Cambridge and 3 south-east from Old North Road station, in the hundred of Wetherley, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Church of St Andrew was, with the exception of the chantry, rebuilt of red brick in 1749: the east window is stained ; the centre subject being "King David with his Harp" and on either side, St. Catherine and St. Simon; the edifice contains many marble monuments to former lords of the manor; there is a recumbent life-size marble figure of the late Lord Hardwicke, also one of the Chicheley family, each on an alter tomb. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, yearly value £460, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Hardwicke, and held by the Rev. Edward Lyon Fellows M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is also rector of Arrington.
The Chicheley Charity of £20.00 yearly is for fuel and Beho's of £1 3s 4d for bread.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Earl of Hardwicke, P.C., M.A., is a spacious brick mansion; the central part was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley, about the year 1632; the wings were added by Lord Oxford; the house was newly fronted, and the principle apartments fitted up, by Lord Chancellor Hardwicke; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by old masters; the deer park consists of 300 acres; in front of the house is a spacious avenue, extending 2¾ miles in length. The Earl of Hardwicke is lord of the manor, and sole landowner. A substantial school building was erected for the poor of the parish in 1860, supported by the Earl of Hardwicke.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley.
The area is 2428 acres; rateable value £3440; the population in 1871 was 419.
Parish Clerk: William Whetstone.
Letters through Royston. The nearest money order office is at Arrington.
A substantial school building was erected in 1860 & is supported by the Earl of Hardwicke; Samuel Horsfield, master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hardwicke, Earl of, P.C. M.A. Wimpole Hall
Fellowes Rev. Edward Lyon M.A., J.P., (rector) Rectory.
COMMERCIAL
Banks Charles, farmer
Cambridge, Owen, farm bailiff to the Earl of Hardwicke, Home Farm.
Charter Arthur Geo. Coomb Grove Farm
Elliston, Robert, farmer.
Gifford Macer, farmer, Cobb's Wood Farm
Hagger William, farmer.
Hagger William Taite, farmer, Eight Elms Farm
Wickes, George Henry land steward to the Earl of Hardwicke.

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1888
WIMPOLE is a parish, about 8 miles north-west from Royston, about 9 south-west from Cambridge and 3 south-east from Old North Road station, on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St Andrew is an edifice in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, chantry, south porch and a western tower containing 1 bell, and was, with the exception of the chantry, rebuilt of red brick in 1749: the east window is stained ; the centre subject being "King David with his Harp" and on either side, figures of St. Catherine and St. Simon; in the church are many marble monuments to former lords of the manor, an alter tomb to a member of the Chicheley family, and in the chantry chapel are many memorials to members of the Yorke family, including an imposing monument to Lord Chancellor Hardwicke, who rebuilt the nave, and an alter tomb, with recumbent effigy, in marble, to Philip, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke K.G. who died 18th November 1834: the church (with the exception of the chantry) was restored in 1887, at a cost of £700, as a memorial to Susan, late Countess of Hardwicke: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540.
The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £646, met yearly value £550, including 1 acre of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Hardwicke, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Edward Lyon Fellows M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is also rector of Arrington.
The Chicheley Charity of £20.00 yearly is for fuel and Beho's of £1 1s for bread.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Earl of Hardwicke, P.C., M.A., D.L., J.P. is a spacious brick mansion; the central part was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley, about the year 1632; the wings being added by Lord Oxford, and the house newly fronted, and the principle apartments fitted up, by Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor, in 1736-37; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by old masters; the deer park, which consists of 300 acres; contains two small lakes, and in front of the house is a spacious avenue extending 2¾ miles in length. The Earl of Hardwicke is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2428 acres; rateable value £2668; the population in 1881 was 355.
Parish Clerk: John Whetstone.
Letters through Royston arrive at 9.00 a.m.. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Arrington. Letter box cleared at 6.30 p.m.
A substantial school building was erected in 1874 for 75 children; average attendance, 60; & is supported by the Earl of Hardwicke. Samuel Horsfield, master; Miss Emily Horsfield, mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hardwicke, Earl of, P.C., M.A., D.L., J.P. Wimpole Hall; & White's, Carlton & Turf clubs, London S W.
Fellowes Rev. Edward Lyon M.A., J.P., (rector), Rectory.
COMMERCIAL
Dawson John, farmer.
Fellowes Reginald Octavius, estate agent to the trustees of the Earl of Hardwicke.
Free Charles, farmer.
Gifford Macer, farmer, Park Farm
Hagger John, farmer
Hartop William, farmer.
Meyer Arthur, farmer.
Russell James Green, farmer, Thornberry Hill Farm.

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1892
WIMPOLE is a parish, about 8 miles north-west from Royston, about 9 south-west from Cambridge and 3 south-east from Old North Road station, on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Church of St Andrew, rebuilt, with the exception of the chantry, in 1749, is an edifice of red brick in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, chantry, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: the east window is stained, and in the church are many marble monuments to former lords of the manor; and an alter tomb to a member of the Chicheley family; the chantry chapel contains memorials to members of the Yorke family, including an imposing monument to Philip, first Earl of Hardwick and Lord Chancellor 1737-56, who was born at Dover, 1 December 1690, and died in Grosvenor Square, London, 6 March 1764; there is also an alter tomb, with recumbent effigy in marble, to Philip, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke K.G. who died 18th November 1834: the church was restored in 1887, at a cost of £700, as a memorial to Susan, late Countess of Hardwicke died 22 November 1886: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540.
The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £512, gross yearly value £500, net £415, including 1 acre of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Hardwicke, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Edward Lyon Fellows M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is also rector of Arrington.
The Chicheley Charity of £20.00 yearly is for fuel and Beho's of £1 1s for bread.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Earl of Hardwicke, P.C., M.A., D.L., J.P. is a spacious mansion of brick; the central part of which was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley, about the year 1632; the wings being added by Lord Oxford, and the house newly fronted and the principle apartments fitted up by Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor, in 1736-37; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by old masters; the deer park, which consists of 300 acres, contains two small lakes, the river Cam flows through the estate, and in front of the house is a spacious avenue, consisting of a double row of elms, extending 2¾ miles in length and of great width. The Earl of Hardwicke is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2428 acres; rateable value £2668; the population in 1891 was 290.
Parish Clerk: John Whetstone.
Letters through Royston arrive at 9.00 a.m.. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Arrington. Wall Letter Box cleared at 6.30 p.m.
School, erected in 1874 for 75 children; average attendance, 55; Samuel Horsfield, master; Miss Emily Horsfield, mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hardwicke, Earl of, P.C., M.A., D.L., J.P. Wimpole Hall; & White's, Carlton & Turf clubs, London S W.
Fellowes Rev. Edward Lyon M.A., J.P., (rector), Rectory.
COMMERCIAL
Dawson John, farmer.
Fellowes Reginald Octavius, estate agent to the trustees of the Earl of Hardwicke.
Free Samuel, farmer.
Gifford Macer, farmer, Park Farm
Hagger John, farmer
Jarman Amos, farmer.
Meyer Arthur, farmer.
Russell James Green, farmer, Thornberry Hill Farm.

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1929
WIMPOLE is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Old North Road station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, about 8 north-west from Royston and about 9 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Church of St. Andrew, rebuilt, with the exception of the chantry in 1749, is an edifice of red brick in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, chantry and a western gable containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Edward Lyon Fellowes M.A. rector 1876-96, and was placed in the church in 1898; there are many marble monuments to former lords of the manor; there is also an altar tomb to a member of the Chicheley family, above which is a window filled with heraldic glass of the 14th century: the Chicheley Chapel contains memorials to members of the Yorke family, including an imposing monument to Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor 1737-56, who was born at Dover, 1 Dec. 1690, and died in Grosvenor Square, London, 6 March, 1764; there is also an altar tomb, with recumbent effigy in marble, to Philip, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke K.G d. 18 Nov. 1834: the church was restored in 1887, at a cost of £900, as a memorial to Susan, Countess of Hardwicke, d. 22 Nov. 1886: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £577, with residence, in the gift of the Hon. Francis Gerald Agar-Robartes M.V.O., J.P. and held since 1914 by the Rev. Edgar Lancaster, of St. Augustine's College, Canterbury, and rural dean of Barton, who is also vicar of Arrington. There is a charge on an estate here of £20 yearly for fuel for the benefit of the poor; Beho's charity of £1 1s. is for bread.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Hon. Francis Gerald Agar-Robartes M.V.O., J.P. is a spacious mansion of brick, the central part of which was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley about the year 1632, the wings being added by Lord Oxford, and the house newly fronted and the principal apartments fitted up by Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor, in 1736-37; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by old masters: the park, which consists of 300 acres, contains two small lakes: the river Cam flows through the estate, and in front of the house is a spacious avenue, consisting of a double row of elms, extending 2¾ miles in length and of great width.
Hon. Francis Gerald Agar-Robartes M.V.O., J.P. is Lord of the Manor. 
The soil is stiff clay ; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,456 acres of land and 12 of water; the population in 1921 was 244.
Sexton, Walter Bullen.
Letters through Royston (Herts). The nearest M.O. & T. Office is at Arrington
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Agar-Robartes Hon. Francis Gerald M.V.O., J.P.,  Wimpole Hall
Hopkins Edward Jodrell, Wimpole Lodge
Lancaster Rev. Edgar (Rector & Rural Dean of Barton), Rectory
COMMERCIAL (Marked thus * farming 150 acres or over.)
*Davenport Jas., farmer, Manor Farm
Franklin Charles Albert, farmer, Hoback Farm
Gadsby Adolphus, farmer, River Cam Farm
*Gifford Henry, farmer, Cobb's Wood Farm
*Hagger Reginald Russell, farmer
Hall Jas., farmer, Coomb Grove
*Moss E. Augustus, farmer, Valley Farm
Snell William J., head gardener to the Hon. F. G. Agar Robartes M.V.O., J.P., Wimpole Hall
Thomas Basil, sub-agent to the Hon. F. G. Agar Robartes M.V.O., J.P.
Witherow Sydney Jas. farmer, Eight Elms (postal address, Arrington, Royston)
Woodrow George, head gamekeeper to the Hon. F. G. Agar Robartes M.V.O., J.P., Wimpole Hall

Kelly's Directory
Wimpole 1933
WIMPOLE is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Old North Road station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, about 8 north-west from Royston and about 9 south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, rural district of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Church of St. Andrew, rebuilt, with the exception of the chantry in 1749, is an edifice of red brick in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, chantry and a western gable containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Edward Lyon Fellowes M.A. rector 1876-96, and was placed in the church in 1898; there are many marble monuments to former lords of the manor; there is also an altar tomb to a member of the Chicheley family, above which is a window filled with heraldic glass of the 14th century: the Chicheley Chapel contains memorials to members of the Yorke family, including an imposing monument to Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor 1737-56, who was born at Dover, 1 Dec. 1690, and died in Grosvenor Square, London, 6 March, 1764; there is also an altar tomb, with recumbent effigy in marble, to Philip, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke K.G d. 18 Nov. 1834: the church was restored in 1887, at a cost of £900, as a memorial to Susan, Countess of Hardwicke, d. 22 Nov. 1886: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £519, with residence, in the gift of the Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P. and held since 1914 by the Rev. Edgar Lancaster, of St. Augustine's College, Canterbury, and rural dean of Barton, who is also vicar of Arrington.
There is a charge on an estate here of £20 yearly for fuel for the benefit of the poor; Beho's charity of 17s 6d is for bread.
Wimpole Hall, the seat of the Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P. is a spacious mansion of brick, the central part of which was built by Sir Thomas Chicheley about the year 1632, the wings being added by Lord Oxford, and the house newly fronted and the principal apartments fitted up by Philip, first Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Chancellor, in 1736-37; it contains a valuable collection of pictures by old masters: the park, which consists of 300 acres, contains two small lakes: the river Cam flows through the estate, and in front of the house is a spacious avenue, consisting of a double row of elms, extending 2¾ miles in length and of great width.
Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P. is Lord of the Manor and principal landowner. 
The soil is stiff clay ; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,456 acres of land and 12 of water; the population in 1921 was 244.
Letters through Royston (Herts). The nearest M.O. & T. Office is at Arrington.
Conveyance - Motor omnibus to Cambridge, daily.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Bouchier Rev Basil Graham M.A., Wimpole Lodge.
Clifden Viscount M.V.O., J.P. Wimpole Hall; Lanhydrock House, Bodmin, Cornwall; 37 Grosvenor Square, W1 & Marlborough & Turf clubs, London.
Lancaster Rev. Edgar (Rector & Rural Dean of Barton), Rectory.
COMMERCIAL (Marked thus * farming 150 acres or over.)
*Davenport Jas., farmer, Manor Farm
Dyball Eric Fletcher, farmer, Thornberry Hill
Franklin Charles Albert, farmer, Hoback Farm Farm.
Gadsby Adolphus, farmer, River Cam Farm
*Hagger Reginald Russell, farmer
Hall Jn Geo. farmer, Coomb Grove Farm
Ison Jessie (Mrs), shopkeeper
*Moss E. Augustus, farmer, Valley Farm
Reed Jn, boot repair
*Smith Jsph. Hardy, farmer, Cobbs Wood Farm
Snell William J., head gardener to Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P., Wimpole Hall
Stone Harry, sub-agent to Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P.
Witherow Sydney Jas. farmer, Eight Elms (postal address, Arrington, Royston)
Woodrow George, head gamekeeper to Viscount Clifden M.V.O., J.P., Wimpole Hall.

Home Page      Owners of Wimpole Hall      1901 Wimpole Census      Parish Registers





Contact the Website
      Read Our Guestbook
Website © Copyright 2000-2017 Steve Odell